As you all can see I am pretty non existing in my blog.. I hardly post anything. But that is only because I want to write something which can make a difference and most importantly it should give me the satisfaction or maybe it is just a writer’s block. *Laughs*
I am not really satisfied with my previous posts so maybe this is another reason for me to take big breaks. Trust me, I am never satisfied.
Today I want to touch a topic which is pretty relevant in this time but not everyone wants to talk about it. You still don’t need to talk about it..you just need to read it if that helps. Ha!
I am sure many people these days are suffering from the feeling of emptiness, a feeling of getting sucked into an imaginary black hole and this is something you don’t realize when you are in it’s journey but only when you have reached the destination of ‘nowhere’.
In simple words I mean Depression. Not sure how many will read this but it’s just a try. Maybe unintentionally it might help some one who is going through it.
The first step towards fighting depression is knowing if you really have depression.
Is a low point in your life actually depression? No.
A mood swing is depression? No.
Not able to submit your assignment on time is depression? Not at all. Might be a stress.
They might not be depression but probably signs of it, an indicator that you might get into the black hole of depression. Know it. Consult an elder. Talk to people. Come out of it before it gets into you. Know your capacity, take in only the amount you can give out..never stress more than your size. No, I don’t mean if you are ‘L’ size you need to take more stress than a person who is ‘S’ size. Lol. I hope I am on the right track. My main point is that if you are feeling low for a longer period of time than normal then STOP! It might lead to depression. I am sure it is easier said than done. Trust me it is. No one can understand what you are going through. I can bring the thirsty horse to the well but I can’t make him drink the water in it. The ‘Horse’ here is the person who is into depression.
But it is not even that difficult if you think about it. Ask yourself.. is it worth it? Are you going to regret it in the coming years when you think about that person or that incident or in short the reason which is making you depressed? Stressing over your cause of depression will lead to your goals? The image below will sum it up.
I know everyone has a reason to get depressed. Some maybe severe, some just near severe, some below severe. Please try to analyse your problem and it’s level of intensity before jumping to the conclusion of depression. It is not a joke. Being sad for an hour is not depression. Actually the more you think you are not depressed makes the situation better. No matter how clichéd it sounds..yes BE POSITIVE.
Now coming to the main agenda of this post… what can I do to come out of depression?
No, Suicide is NOT the option.
Self harming is NOT the option.
Substance Abuse is NOT the option.
Some pointers here:
- Time is your best friend. Just give time, some time. You know what I mean right? Just be patient. After some years I am sure you will not even look back. Trust me, it is that worthless.
- If it still doesn’t help then please talk to someone, most importantly an elder or someone who has a more mature outlook than you. Not just anyone, someone who you trust. Not everyone will understand and it might make the situation worse. I know it is not very easy because the main reason for depression is loneliness. When people have no one to consult to about their problems they get depressed. But just look around you, maybe there is someone who can listen to you.
- Spirituality does help a lot. For some it might be yoga and meditation but for some like me it might be prayers. Anything which gives you peace and direct you to a better place, even for 10-20 mins, helps!
- Destruct that object of negativity. No don’t murder anyone. You might turn up into a jail and it might lead to a bigger depression. Mentally destruct it.. maybe something in your phone, an image or a video..just DELETE it. A contact? BLOCK it. Just get far from it as much as you can. These were just an example..you know it better.
- Stay away from social media if that’s the reason. I know, a little ironic I am posting this on a blog haha. But yes, according to many articles and surveys Social Media is a reason for depression. Maybe someone’s FB status updates is giving you sleepless nights, maybe someone’s check-in to a popular night club is making you think your life is not cool, maybe less likes in your pictures is making you think you are not worth those ‘thumbs ups’, someone updated their relationship status but you are still single. Trust me, this is the most worthless reason you can think about. You are much better than any of them. I mean it.
- Self harming? Getting suicidal thoughts because a guy/girl dumped you? You are on a wrong track. If that person dumped you why do even think that person will care if you die. They never wanted you and you are making it easier for them by giving up your life. Think! Will take time, maybe a lot..but you will get over it 😉 Take some fresh air and move on.
- Getting bullied? Under peer pressure? Getting blackmailed? Don’t sit back. COMPLAIN. SHOUT. Let everyone know. Peer pressure is something trivial.. your peers will not even remember how cool you were in school when you did something you shouldn’t have done. Ask yourself.
- Most importantly, think about those people who are suffering more than you. Your problems when compared to someone else’s will look much smaller. Someone lost their parents, siblings, spouses or any loved ones…if they are living their life everyday without a support, why can’t you? You Can! Overcoming your sufferings is the deal not suffering.
- FOOD! You have many food which releases your happy hormones like serotonin which reduces depression and stress. Look into your diet… are you treating your body well? Have a look at this article–> Mood Boosting snacks because you are what you eat! Exercise is another way to release your tension..it relaxes your muscles. Sometimes even a hot shower can work!
Okay so I will bring an end to this post but before that I will quote something which I truly believe in. Might help.
This Too Shall Pass
After everything..you will survive!
P.S. I am not a professional consultant or a psychiatrist so somethings might not make sense. Lol.
I am a part of a crowd just like everyone who tried to give 2 cents on this issue. I might not be right about what depression is but just concluded after talking to some people and reading some articles. The rate of depression is alarming..which made me write this. So do correct me where needed.
Tried to give it a humorous touch in some places because I don’t want a depressed person to get more depressed after reading an intense piece. So keeping it simple. Hopefully no one gets offended.
If the situation is getting worse day by day and nothing helps then please consult a doctor 🙂